We are committed to give portion of our profits to protect children, women, and men against human trafficking all over the world.
- here are 27 to 30 million modern-day slaves in the world today according to the United Nations.
- The U.S. State Department cites that 600,000 to 800,000 people are trafficked across borders every year.
- When women in places like Ukraine respond to ads for entertainment or waitressing jobs, they risk falling in with sham placement agencies that may confiscate their documents and force them into sex work. Or, an uncle in Vietnam may tell his niece she’s going away to work at a restaurant, when in fact, she will be shipped to a brothel.
- In other cases, poor families will send their own daughters into sex work or labor for the lucrative one-time pay-off, as well as the potential for more in the future—once a trafficked person pays off her “debt” (the travel and document fees traffickers tell their victims that they owe), she can begin to earn profit.
- While trafficking is often thought of as something that happens across international borders, it also happens in America—every single day. According to Polaris Project , there are 100,000 to 300,000 children prostituted in America and many more at risk. (You can learn how to identify a trafficking victim at the State Department website .)
Runway’s pledges to use portion of our profits to contribute and work with organizations all over the world combatting human trafficking like Polaris, Prajwala, COSA, Urban Light, Goodweave, and The Empower Foundation to help end human trafficking.